In May 1932, 17 foundation members came together for the inaugural meeting. The first tramp as a result was to Mt Dobson, with other early outings to Mt Robertson, The Ned, Mt Riley and the Waikakaho Saddle.
At the first general meeting it was decided not to admit women. In time they were invited on a couple of outings, the first being the Vernon Bluffs and in November 32 they were accepted for membership.
Early transport was by Deluxe Reo Coach, often drive by the Club Captain
Owing to the war and its aftermath the club was in recess from 1937 until it was reformed in 1949.
LADIES TRAMP TO MT VERNON
In 1951 hut construction commenced with the John Tait up the Travers Valley being a joint venture with the Nelson Tramping Club, followed by the Gosling in 1956. The Club also assisted with the rebuilding of the Shin Hut in the Awatere Valley (since burned down).
1985 saw the Hodder Hut taken over from the Tararua Tramping Club and in1986 the Murray Adrian hut was completed alongside the Hodder. These two huts provide welcome accommodation for trampers to Mt Tapuae-O-Uenuku
HODDER HUTS MAINTENANCE
(ORIGINALLY BUILT IN 1970 FOR KENDACOT GOLD MINING LTD)
MID-WEEK tramps commenced in 1989 and with the advent of the seven day working week these have proved very popular consistently attracting good numbers.
JUBILEE EVENTS have been held over the years and the next will be our 80th in June 2012. Below are just two of the many photos taken during the 70th jubilee weekend in 2002.
70th Jubilee 2002
Win Edwards and Noel Pope
Susan King and Bernie Hughes
WHAT A RAG TAG PAIR!